Reduce isolation and improve inderstanding.
Individuals with communication difficulties, delays and disabilities struggle to understand and be understood. These interactive cards, with their colorful, original drawings, can help, making such communication more precise and less frustrating.
Here are just a few ways the Food Set can be used:
1. Place pictures into a communication book for requesting wants and needs, at home, school or in the community.
2. Make chore charts (example: Put plate in the sink/wipe tabletop).
3. Make a visual grocery list. Take the pictures of the desired grocery list items along to the grocery store. Make shopping fun! Play "grocery store" at home or in the classroom.
4. Play restaurant. Individual chooses several pictures of foods he or she wants to order. Or they act as waiter/waitress, taking the order and reading it back (saying, signing or pointing to the pictures) to check if the order was taken correctly.
5. Increase literacy and vocabulary. When using the cards, point to the words on top. Later, turn the cards over to the word-only side and ask the individual to find the words you have worked on.
Together, these vivid drawings provide a helpful visual communication system that can improve understanding and performance.